How to Take Backup of WordPress Site – Easy DIY Tutorial
Taking regular backups is the best thing you can ever do to secure your website data. If you are not familiar with the methods of backing up your WordPress website, you have come to the right place. In this article, you will learn how to take backup of WordPress site using a few easy methods. The objective of this article is to make you able to back up WordPress website without taking the help of any professional or expert.
If you own a website, what is the important thing you should take care of? Your website data, right? I should not tell you how important your website is. It is so valuable, and you cannot even imagine losing it. Am I right? Being a website owner, you are the one who is responsible for protecting the website data. How will you do that? Whether you are running a business website, an e-commerce store, or a personal website/blog, one thing is very important, and that is – backup. Having a backup means your website data is secured. You can restore almost everything from the backup if any disaster or mishap takes place due to any reason. Before we plunge into the methods of backing up your WordPress website, it is significant to discuss what a WordPress backup is and how important backing up your WordPress website is.
WordPress Backup and Its Importance
A website is an important and perhaps the most valuable asset for any business. If you create a personal or business website or a blog on WordPress, you should not forget to take its backup. Many WordPress users often forget about backups, and then pay the price when a disaster takes place. You never want to face such an awful situation. That is why it is strongly recommended to take WordPress backup whenever you create a new website or blog.
Just imagine you have a WordPress website or a blog that is around 2 years old. You never bother taking backups. Very bad! One day you find that your website goes down due to an uncertain reason or gets deleted. You lose all the work that you have put into your website/blog over the years. How do you feel about this devastating situation? Certainly, you will regret not having a backup.
Just like your computer data needs regular backup, your WordPress website deserves the same treatment. By taking the backup, you create and store copies of your data into a file or a place from where you can restore them when a data loss event takes place. A website is prone to certain vulnerabilities. If you think that your WordPress website is safe and you will never face a data loss situation, you are wrong. On a web server where the WordPress website is stored, can go down or crash due to any reason. Sometimes the WordPress websites get hacked, even a highly secured website is not completely safe from hackers. I have seen people losing their website data due to the mistakes made by web designers and developers. To avoid a data loss situation due to any of these reasons, you must back up WordPress website regularly.
How to Take Backup of WordPress Site?
Well, backup is not only necessary for WordPress websites but also for websites created on other platforms. So if you have a website, you must take its backup regularly.
As previously mentioned, a backup can protect your WordPress website from hackers, malware attacks, and unexpected server crash that might make your website unusable and/or cause you to recreate your website from scratch. If you are new to WordPress, you might not be familiar with the methods of backing up your WordPress website. But do not worry about it. If you are using BlueHost to manage your website, then you should know that this web hosting provider automatically creates backup files regularly. For more information, you may refer to these articles – backing up your WordPress site and how to quickly backup your BlueHost hosting account. So you do not have to worry about backups if you are using BlueHost.
Many of you might not be using BlueHost or those who are using it might not be satisfied with its backup feature. So, in that case, I would recommend a couple of WordPress plugins here for backing up your WordPress website. Some of the best WordPress backup plugins are UpdraftPlus, BackWPup, and BackupGuard.
UpdraftPlus is the most popular, and perhaps the best WordPress plugin for backing up your WordPress website, used by more than 2 million active users. Using this WordPress backup plugin, you can easily take your WordPress Site backup and store it on the cloud or download it to your computer. Below are the key features of Updraft WordPress Backup Plugin:
- Using this WordPress backup plugin, you can perform scheduled backups as well as on-demand backups. You can also choose what you want to backup.
- It will upload your WordPress site backup to Google Drive, Dropbox, FTP, SFTP, S3 (Simple Storage Service), Rackspace, email, and various other cloud storage services.
- Other than backing up your WordPress website, it will allow you to restore the backup directly from the WordPress admin panel.
- Although UpdraftPlus is free, its premium version is also available at $70 (for personal use). The premium version comes with various add-ons to perform multiple tasks, such as migrating and/or cloning websites, searching and/or replacing database, support multisite, and much more.
Another good plugin for backing up your WordPress site is BackWPup, used by over 600,000 websites in the world. Just like UpdraftPlus, it is also freely available. Below are the key features of BackWPup WordPress Backup Plugin:
- Using this WordPress backup plugin, you can save your complete installation including /wp-content/.
- You can schedule automatic backups according to how frequently you update your website.
- It will upload your WordPress site backup to Microsoft Azure, Dropbox, RackSpace Cloud, Amazon S3, FTP, SugarSync, and other directories.
- In case if you want to save your WordPress site backup on your computer, it supports the popular compressed/archive file formats, such as ZIP, TAR, TAR.gz, etc.
- Backing up your WordPress website is very simple and effortless because this WordPress backup plugin is very easy to use.
- It also allows you to restore a WordPress website from the backup with ease.
With more than 70000 active installations and excellent user ratings, BackupGuard is the best option for you if you are looking for the most complete WordPress backup plugin. Only a few WordPress plugins support both backup and restore options for free, and it is one of them. Below are the key features of BackGuard WordPress Backup Plugin:
- This WordPress backup plugin allows you to take your WordPress site backup, restore it, and also migrate your WordPress site. And that is why it is also known as the most complete backup solution for WordPress users.
- It allows you to choose what you want to backup – files, databases, or both.
- Once you take the backup of your WordPress site, you can download it to your computer or store it in Dropbox.
- You can take unlimited backups of your WordPress website manually.
- The BackupGuard WordPress backup plugin supports multisite WordPress installations. So if you running and/or managing multiple WordPress sites/ blogs from a single WordPress installation, this is the best WordPress backup plugin for you.
Other than these WordPress Backup plugins, you can also consider using BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, VaultPress (Jetpack Backups), BlogVault, BoldGrid Backup, Duplicator, etc.
In order to keep your WordPress website safe and secure, you should always take backups. The article has nicely explained the importance of backing up your WordPress website. After reading this article, I hope you are now able to back up WordPress website without requiring anybody’s help. You have all the options for backing up your WordPress website. So stop wasting your time and take backup today.
CreditsWordPress Icon made by Pixel Perfect from www.flaticon.com
Backup Icon made by Smashicons from www.flaticon.com